UPMC is a leader in creating a new model for “green” health care through:
- A rounded program of environmentally responsible construction
- Improvements in its own operations
- Support for research and community programs to improve community health and quality of life through cleaner, more environmentally friendly practices
Working with the U.S. Department of Energy, UPMC has designed a training program to help all hospitals better manage their energy use.
UPMC VNA supports programs that recycle:
UPMC VNA also participates in UPMC systemwide activities that:
- Durable medical supplies
- Eyeglasses and hearing aids
- Medical waste
- Electronics such as cell phones and computer equipment
- Paper, plastic, glass, metal and batteries
- Provide enhanced employee training to educate staff on environmental sustainability and how they can help make the system greener
- Hold internal farmer's markets for employees
- Implement sanitation and cleaning processes and materials to enable recycling and phase out use of polluting products.
- Use recyclable/compostable plastic serve ware